Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Spare Change

I could begin this blog by stating the historical significance of this day but that would be stating the obvious. There are of course theories abound on the long term effects it will have on the masses. No matter what the effects are, they all will amount to one thing; change. As I reflect on recent days before this one I can see a time when Tupac Shakur and Biggie Smalls were the role models of the time. Many looked to these individuals to set the standard on black masculinity. But today my purpose is not to judge these men but only to make observances in hindsight of the power that they possessed. Whether they chose it or not they were given the mantle of the role model. This meant that no matter what choices they made good or bad they were under the watchful eyes of the masses. All of their deeds were used to gauge the climate of the black male in society. In their own ways they were agents of change in America. Their actions in the media in many cases translated to the actions of all black males in this country.

Today we have a new agent of change and his name is Barack Obama. He has been given the almost impossible task to lead this nation out of darkness. This means that all of his assets and short comings will be under a very powerful microscope. In light of this it is important that everyone who supports him be concious that he cannot do the job alone. The change that he so eloquently speaks of in all his speeches should be practiced in the every day lives of each and every American. For example, I just recently learned in a small but profound way how I can be a part of the critical mass that evokes change in this country. This past weekend in all of my celebration of president Obama's inaugaration, I went way over my weekly spending budget. Although I am happy for this man and what he means for this country i didn't get the true message until I was forced to use my credit card for cup of coffee. I was so intoxicated by the reality that he would be our next president that I used poor financial judgement in the midst of an economic crisis as if he would personally bail me out. I realized then that it would do him a huge disservice if I relied on and blamed him for all of my triumphs and tragedies in the next four years.

There is much that we can do to make Barack Obama the greatest president in the history of this country. His true strength is in mobilizing us to make sure this comes to pass. But he cannot do it alone. We help him by helping ourselves. I for one will be aware of this with each sip of my morning coffee from now until payday and beyond.

7 comments:

scruffdiva said...

I love the coffee bit! Very insightful. You should get a coffee maker at home though, buddy. :)

Craig Knight said...

Actually I have one. Ran out of coffee though.
lol!!!

Anonymous said...

Does Barack Obama represent the new black male, or does his identity belong to him and him alone? Do you see yourself differently as a black male because a black man is president? Can you separate his accomplishment from his race? Can you separate your accomplishments from yours? Inquiring minds want to know!

Craig Knight said...

In his private life of course his identity is his, but he is a public figure...probably the most public figure in the world today. He is also the first. Whether he likes it or not what ever he does with this administration will color the image of the black American male as well as the image of all Americans. As for myself I am not ashamed to say that my confidence has been lifted a bit since he took office. My accomplishments are mine yes but i live in a country where they have always been lumped in with the rest of my race. But I'm not sure I have a problem with this. Do you? No one seems to have a problem when the shortcomings of my race are made public.

Anonymous said...

Very true, your accomplishments are lumped in with the success and failures of every other black male in the country. I am surprised that that does not piss you off. I am a black female, so I cannot say the same. What other black females do does not effect my day to day progress or lack thereof. I guess that is one difference that we may have. This country does not have a problem publicizing the short comings of black men or black people in general. (Chris Brown is the latest example.). Everyone likes to berate and celebrate public figures, especially when they are black. I am proud of Obama, but I worry about him and his family. On the plus side, I can't wait to read all the books they will write on the experience once his two terms are done. Hope I didn't upset you with the questions. I like your blog, so keep them coming.

Craig Knight said...

Our experience here in America is quite unique and special. It is because of how we were viewed collectively that brought us here in the first place. I do get pissed sometimes when we are lumped together. But I also accept it as our immediate reality. Whenever one of us screws up that means that whoever is doing something good has to upgrade to extraordinairy and that result is what pushes us to the next level. It is part of what motivates me but it is not the only thing. The greatest part of my personal quest for greatness essentially is how it makes me feel in the end. Btw way although I was a little taken aback by your comment, I am glad that you chose to contribute. Your comment stimulate my though process which is always welcome! God bless!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.