Saturday, January 30, 2010

Craig's Comic Book Rant to be cont'd (again)


I was sitting in a workshop this morning which addresses various techniques of intervention to use with problem kids. Admittedly, today's session was a bit boring until it began to address the kinds of kids I deal with on a daily basis. The profile presented showed a kid who is in essence following the road of a sociopath. The presenter went on to explain that this type of kid is often the hardest to deal with simply because his behaviors are almost never followed with any feelings of remorse. For example, in the least extreme case this student may be a thief. His response to such an act would be that the individual he stole from should not have left his valuables unprotected, therefore alleviating himself of the blame. This of course struck a strong chord in me because this is the type of student that I encounter everyday. It also brings insight to why all of my rants and appeals to these individuals are often met with blank stares, interruptions and wise cracks. It was also noted that these individuals exhibit these behaviors as a coping mechanism to deal with the many traumatic events of their lives...a fact that was very evident to me before I took this class. However, it does not negate the fact that it would behoove the individual to always be aware of the causes.

Now here is where it gets real: I could not help but realize that many of these individuals have no problem admitting their crimes if given the right amount of publicity when doing so. When I witnessed the thief in question intricately describing the strategies of his many capers it reminded me of an episode of 20/20 where a mass murderer in infinite detail tells the interviewer about his many heinous crimes. My question then was are we teaching this generations future sociopaths? My instructor then replied that although many of our students do indeed possess sociopathic tendencies, they don't all have to be criminals. And to further illustrate her point she said "A sociopath doesn't have to be a criminal...he could become Dick Cheney or any American CEO. A very sobering thought indeed!

Now what does this all have to do with comics? Anyone who is familiar with the whole Batman saga knows that he himself could be considered a sociopath in his own right. He dresses in a bat suit and through techniques of extreme violence and intimidation guards Gotham City. His arch nemesis the Joker on the other hand uses the same techniques to keep the city in constant terror. These characters are in essence two sides of the same coin. Which brings me closer to the frightening realization that as I sit in my classroom from day to day in front of groups of potential future sociopaths, I have been given the charge and the dilemma of influencing them to become batmen and batwomen as opposed to future jokers. Laughable? Maybe. Maybe I've just read too many damn comic books. But one thing is certain. We live in a country that is 5% of the world's population and 25% of its prison inmates. This is appalling! If a man in spandex and a cape can help me cope with such a fact then so be it.

I encourage everyone to be safe, be caring and be well.

5 comments:

JustPassin'Thru said...

...or a sociopath could become a workshop instructor or any American educator. Sounds like just another liberal mouthpiece taking jabs (still) at the (long gone) bush administration and wall street CEO's in a non-political arena in front of a captive audience. You sure the instructor wasn't one of the dixie chicks?

Craig Knight said...

Maybe, if you wanna go that route. Not sure if I want to though. I'm in the classroom everyday with the 'potential' sociopaths. But just because they possess this potential does not mean that they will achieve it. My job is as an educator (not a liberal mouth piece) is to try to the best of my ability point them in a direction that will be beneficial to as many people as possible even when they are (long gone). Thanks for your comment. Oh and feel free to stay awhile next time.

Andrew Beyea said...

I'm not sure the fact that we have 25% of the world's prison inmates means that we're a sociopathic society. I think it indicates a dangerous tendency toward the criminalization of activities that are tolerated or ignored in other countries. How can we call our nation the land of the free when we have the most people imprisoned?

Craig Knight said...

That's a good point Andrew. In fact your comment alerts me to some of the limitations than can come up when looking at the society as a whole as opposed to the microcosm that I see in the classroom everyday. Statistics like the one mentioned have a tendency to stir passions that we tend to carry with us into every arena. It is very easy and sometimes convenient to declare a view of the future of our society based on a few misguided students. Comments like yours are needed to keep the playing field level. Thanks for your comments.

Craig Knight said...

However, I still cannot ignore that frightening things that I see on the daily news bare a chilling similarity to what I witness in the classroom. Let's be clear. I don't see heinous crimes everyday but I do hear what students talk about. The idea of morality has a different connotation here in the trenches. Granted it has only changed drastically amongst a select few but those few have increased since I was a teenager and so has their potential for sociopathic behavior.