Monday, January 4, 2010

I was having a drink with a friend a few nights ago and we got to talking about my latest upcoming adventure in fatherhood. He said that in a conversation with one his friends she used the phrase "game over" when he informed her that my fiance' and I were having a new addition to our family. I have to say that I was slightly annoyed by this at first but after mulling it over in my mind over the past few days, i decided to take her statement as a compliment. I became reassured that in this world of individuals who wish to be forever 21, every aspect of life is a game.

So let's say for sake of argument that my newest status as a future father of 2 completely takes me out of "the game". Does this mean that I am no longer a "player" or does it mean that the game for me has merely changed? Her statement made me realize that I am actually at the advance stages of the game on a level where most either lose immediately or don't even bother to participate. Unfortunately we live in a society where many are still playing on level 1 in a contest that is no longer relevant to their lives. In other words the old guy or girl at the club is very much like the ace at Ms. Pac-man when everyone else has moved on to Grand Theft Auto. Now don't get me wrong I am far from a master. But neither was Michael Jordan at first. My parents weren't master of the game either. But they are still together and I am thoroughly impressed. So that being said. Here's to all of the couples out there young and old who are still striving to be masters of the game.

4 comments:

scruffdiva said...

Here here!

Anonymous said...

Games people play, night or day, there just not matching. Some people are good at unconditional love, for others, love is just a temporary state of mind. Whatever category you fit into, you have to do you! Some people hate to be alone, others will kill you if you don't leave them the hell alone! As long as you and the wife are happy about it, other people's reactions are really a non-issue. Everyone will not be happy for you, maybe they are jealous. Maybe they view children as an added responsibility. Everyone does not want to play the family game. The older you get, the game becomes yours and you make up the rules as you go along. Some people only pretend to play the game of love, some people only play to earn. Some people play for sex, while others just don't want to be lonely. If the family life is your game, (seems to be), then play that shit

Anonymous said...

I want not agree on it. I assume polite post. Expressly the title attracted me to read the intact story.

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.