Wednesday, September 23, 2009

a moment to acknowledge

A Different Kind of Nigga'

May 5, 2009

Two weeks ago i had an argument with one of my students about being habitually late to my class in excesses of 20 minutes or more. He appeared to be in disbelief of the fact that I had the nerve to charge him 5 points off his final grade for each infraction. During the conversation he looked at me with the same kind of smirk basketball players use when they believe they have been unjustly charged with a foul and said "Mr. Knight, you a different kind a nigga". Someone suggested that this be the title of my memoirs. I'm not sure if I would go that far, but the situation is worth noting. Normally I would connect this anecdote to a larger point, but today...I got nuthin'!

Comments? Suggestions? Be my guest



I spoke to this young man two days ago. He was late again to another teacher's class as I happened to be leaving. I asked him if he was working on the problem. I will admit to paraphrasing but the general gist was that the importance of his puntuality was starting to sink in. He seemed to be more adjusted and at peace with his surroundings than last semester. Two students approached me today and informed me that he was shot to death later that same day. I remember taking offense to the his previous description of me but now I think that it will forever mean something more. I now know that our brief acquaintance will be a constant reminder that teachers are not the only ones who teach in the classroom. Our students have just as much power to influence as we do. It is possible that he was paying me a compliment. So I will take this time now to thank him for helping to shape me into a different kind of teacher.

R.I.P Jahlal Lee

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! It's always so difficult to digest the news of a young life being cut short.... I remember the original post and our original discussion about it. I laughed it off and told you that you were different, because unfortunately in the eyes of our hood babies (myself having been one), the black men in our community have to be one thing, GANGSTA!!! And if you're not perpetuating this idea, then that simply makes you a "different kind of nigga".

As a mother, I thank God for men like you ("the different ones") who care enough to tell our children when they're not performing at their highest level. You "different ones" certainly don't receive your due.

Even though Jahlal Lee's young life was cut short, your words and your compassion contributed to his life's lessons; and in knowing this, he's done the same thing for you. So continue to be you Mr. Knight because Jahlal Lee has brothers and sisters all over our community that would benefit from lessons taught by "a different kind of nigga".

Anonymous said...

What do you mean?

Craig Knight said...

What do YOU mean?