Monday, September 28, 2009

What happens after I watch Californication

Writing takes courage. I needed to say this more to myself than anyone who happens to be reading this blog. Once a person utters the words “I am a writer” he becomes immediately responsible for the title. This means that he or she is expected be an authority on any subject that he writes on even if the subject happens to be himself. The reason why this is especially frightening to me is that I can be criticized on anything under the sun via this blog especially since the very title of it suggests that what is on my mind incessantly is indeed every thing under the sun. But I can live with the fear.

So here I am again, naked to the three readers I have, (myself being one of them), attempting to get passed fear, the only thing in the world that has the ability to compel me to or stop me from writing. In fact, I have realized through writing these thoughts that I have never even dared to call myself a writer until recently, when I wrote something which forced me to make the claim [of writer] in my own defense of being viewed as a faker. I was forced to say to myself “I am a writer and sometimes we upset people”. That’s what writers do sometimes. We can even upset our friends when really all we are being is honest. A friend told me once that all writing is is being honest. Sometimes I feel like I’m lying everywhere else and this is the only place I can be honest. And I’m starting to think that many of us haven’t made the claim on a great deal of things we love to do for fear of disappointment and rejection. This is why we (or I, whichever the reader prefers) “half do” a great deal of things.



Damn. All that from watching Californication.

No comments: